You are here
Become an Observer
When you participate in the program, you’ll go outside to observe nature in your backyard or nearby area weekly and enter this information online.
Time commitment to...
Become an observer: About 10 minutes
Observe: About 2 minutes per individual plant or animal (once you’ve familiarized yourself with the program and learned how to observe).
For assistance with getting started visit our Learn How to Observe page where you will find step-by-step instructions and video tutorials to help you through the process.
Become an observer today in 3 steps:
1.Join Nature’s Notebook
- To join, download the Nature's Notebook mobile app or sign up here.
2.Set up your account
- Choose your site, the location where you want to observe, such as your backyard.
- Select species from our Species List, or our Campaign Species, identifying individual plants or animals you want to observe.
- Familiarize yourself with our observation guidelines and standardized phenology protocols.
- Go outside, take observations of your plants or animals using your mobile device or use paper datasheets and then enter your data online.
- or -